Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cupcakes
Cupcakes are my favorite cake. You can enjoy a delicious cake in mini form. These chocolate peanut butter cupcakes are a great alternative to your regular chocolate cupcakes.
And if you love chocolate, like we do, you will want to use our homemade cocoa frosting that is easy to make and pairs well with this recipe.
What Ingredients Are Needed For This Recipe?
Here’s what you need:
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- salad dressing (like Miracle Whip light)
- warm water
- mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
How Do I Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes From Scratch?
You need to make your own cake batter. We used a salad dressing cake recipe, but you can use your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
Can I Leave Out The Salad Dressing?
Yes, you can put 1/2 cup vegetable oil in it’s place. If the batter is too dry, add a whole egg.
How Full Do You Fill The Cupcakes?
We fill them about 3/4 full as these cupcakes will rise a lot. If you fill to the top, this will cause all the cupcakes to join at the top and make some ugly looking cupcakes.
Can You Use A Box Mix?
You can use a cake box mix if you don’t have flour and cocoa to make your own mix.
What Do You Frost The Cupcakes With?
We make this chocolate frosting (I halved the recipe as this makes a lot of frosting) and chop up the rest of the peanut butter cups into 1/4″ chunks in a shallow. Frost lightly and dip the cupcake into the chopped up peanut butter cups.
Is There Peanut Butter In The Batter?
We do not use peanut butter in the cupcake batter. We use peanut butter cups inside the batter. The peanut butter cups melt and make a delicious moist center.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup salad dressing like Miracle Whip
- 1 cup warm water
- mini peanut butter cups
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, cocoa, flour and baking soda together and mix until cocoa is an even color throughout.
- Add the salad dressing and water and mix completely with a hand mixer.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cake batter to the bottom of each cupcake.
- Add 2 mini peanut butter cups to each cupcake.
- Cover with additional cupcake mix (a generous heaping tablespoon)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350℉ degrees.
- Allow to cool before placing frosting on your cupcakes.
- Decorate with a few chopped peanut butter cups on top of each cupcake (about 6 pieces).