Cranberry Jam with Oranges
When cranberries are in season, you can grab an extra bag and make delicious cranberry jam, sometimes called Christmas Jam. This jam recipe has orange peels in it, so it could be called a marmalade as well. You can definitely use this as your cranberry sauce for the holidays if desired.
This is a small batch of jam that makes 4 to 5 half pints. Perfect for gift giving. We use the Ball FreshTek Jam and Jelly maker to make this recipe. You put all the ingredients in it and about 25 minutes later, it’s done. It’s sorta my favorite way to make jams and jellies as I can may several varieties each year.
Have all your canning supplies out, so that you can quickly process the jam into the jars. We place a towel down on the counter for any messes that happen while we pour jam from the canner to the jar. You will also want to have a towel to cover the jars while they cool completely.
Do You Need To Chop The Cranberries to Make Jam?
Your cranberries should be room temperature so that this recipe will heat up quick enough to cook in the FreshTek. Get the cranberries out as you gather your ingredients and put together the jam and jelly maker. We put them in whole (and this is why you add juice/water to help break them down)
If you prefer you can rough chop the berries with a potato masher or food processor before you start canning.
Making Homemade Cranberry Jam
Can You Use Lemon Juice In This Recipe?
You can use some lemon juice in place of part of the orange juice to make this recipe. You will still need to include orange zest to make this a marmalade. If you don’t want it to be a marmalade, don’t add the zest.
Can You Use Frozen Cranberries?
You will want to have the berries thaws and room temperature before you begin making the cranberry jam recipe. If you don’t, the berries will not have enough time to thaw and heat up properly to have a full rolling boil to thicken.
What Can you Do With Leftover Cranberries?
Make a delicious cranberry relish, juice or a classic cranberry sauce.
What Is Spiced Cranberry Jam?
Spiced cranberries is sometimes called Christmas Jam. It has cinnamon, cloves, all spice in it, so it smells all those familiar smells that remind you of Christmas. Sometimes this recipe is also called Christmas Jam.
How To Make Orange Cranberry Marmalade Jam
- 3 cups cranberries
- 3 cups sugar
- Zest of large orange (or 2 medium oranges)
- 1 cup orange juice if oranges don't give 1 cup juice, substitute missing part with water
- 3 tablespoons pectin
- Add the pectin into the bottom of the #aff jam and jelly maker
- Add the cranberries, zest and juice/water to the canner.
- Press the Jam button and cover.
- Once the canner beeps add the sugar.
- Prepare the jars, seals, bands and towel to process jars.
- When the canner beeps, remove the cover.
- Remove the paddle with an oven mitt (it's VERY hot)
- With a plastic ladle and funnel, fill the jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Take a clean wet towel and clean the rim of the jars.
- Place the seal on the jar and hand tighten the band.
- Place the jar into a water bath and process the jars for 10 minutes.
- Put the jars on a towel and cover with another towel and allow the jars to cool slowly.
- Be sure to date and label the jars.
Leave a Reply