Want turkey for Thanksgiving, but you don’t want -that- much turkey? You can make a slow cooker turkey breast and enjoy Thanksgiving or Christmas a little simpler. We make a ham and turkey for the holidays, so doing this, gives us more room in the oven, for other food. And you don’t have to wait until the holidays to enjoy turkey.
thawed turkey breasts
1 -15 ounce can chicken stock/broth
small bag stuffing
1 stick melted butter
teaspoon of sage (optional)
Tablespoon of dried minced onion
Making turkey in the slow cooker
You will want to cook with the largest crock pot you have (we prefer an oval so we can fit the stuffing),
Thaw the turkey breasts and place into the crock pot breast side down. If you have a liner, you may want to use it for easy clean up.
In a large bowl, mix the stuffing with the butter, onion, sage and chicken broth. and let sit for 5 minutes.
Once mixed, add the stuffing around the turkey breast in the slow cooker and cover.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. The stuffing will settle down a bit once it has been cooking.
The turkey should pull apart easy. This will indicate it is done and temp should be 165F.
- You can add another can of chicken broth before putting the stuffing in, to make gravy
- Slow cooker bags keep the mess to a minimum
- Make sure to remove anything from inside the turkey cavity
- Allowing the stuffing to sit a few minutes before combining, allows the liquid to be absorbed
- Serve a ham with your turkey with delicious ham gravy.