Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole is a delicious dish that we love to enjoy during the holidays. It is something you can make year round. We seem to make it more when the sweet potatoes go on sale.
We enjoy it at all our family holiday meals: Easter, Thanksgiving and again for Christmas.
The key to making this dish, is using cooked sweet potatoes. These can be baked in the oven, slow cooker or microwaved and then used in this recipe.
Why Would You Prebake Them?
Because sweet potatoes are almost as hard as rocks and take a long time to cook. And they are worth the effort.
Make This Dish Ahead Of Time!
Our family is divided on the marshmallows, no marshmallows debate. To make everyone happy, we put marshmallows on half of the dish. You can opt to leave them off if your family doesn’t like them.
How Can I Make Sweet Potato Casserole Less Sweet?
Reduce the amount of brown sugar you are putting in the dish by half or eliminate it all together.
Can I Use Canned Sweet Potatoes Instead Of Fresh?
Yes, you can definitely use canned sweet potatoes. You may need to warm them up to mash them for this recipe.
Baked Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 large cooked sweet potatoes peeled and cubed or you can use baked sweet potatoes and remove the potato from the skin
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 bag mini marsmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, remove the sweet potatoes from the skins
- Add the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and mix until smooth or close to it.
- Place the mix into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes and remove from oven.
- Place as many mini marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes that you want and put back into the oven
- Leave in only long enough for the marshmallows to brown. (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.