Traveling to the Petoskey area in the Summer has become a yearly tradition in our family. (more when we can get away). With everything that Petoskey Michigan has to offer, we are never at a loss of things to do. Petoskey is located in Michigan’s lower peninsula, in the northwest corner.
There are many things to do in Petoskey, it’s hard to pick just one things to do. You can really spend your Summer visiting the area, and find more things to add to your bucket list. Pestokey is centrally located to allow you to also explore Traverse City, Charlevoix and Mackinaw City. Northern Michigan has so many great things to see and do. Below are some of our bucket worthy must see Petoskey Michigan highlights.
things to see Petoskey Michigan
1. Search for Petoskey stones – Petoskey means ‘ray of light’. You can see why it’s Michigan’s state stone. These beautiful Petoskey Stones (also called Hexagonaria percarinatal) can be found along some of the gorgeous beaches in Petoskey. Hot spot location to find stones are Magnus City Park Beach, Bay Front & Sunset Park. If you don’t find one yourself, several shops have them available for purchase.
2. Visit & shop downtown – there are some great shops downtown with great food. I always find something unique to bring home to remind me of the trips. There are coffee shops to sit at and just relax as well.
tips for traveling through Michigan’s Tunnel of Trees in Harbor Springs
3. Drive around the lake – We usually come up from US 31 from Traverse City. You can also find US 31 from US 131. Take the drive up the coast and back and enjoy. You will see Petoskey Bay Marina, Bayfront Park, Quarry Park and Sunset Park.
4. My food favorites – Stop at Kilwins Chocolate Kitchen for a tour on how they have been making their sweet treats since 1947. Tours happen during the week Monday thru Friday.
travel in the footsteps of the famous
5. Hemingway vacationed here! Ernest Hemingway spent his first 22 Summers in Walloon Lake. Walloon Lake is south of Petoskey off of US 131. If you are Hemingway Fan, be sure to check out Little Traverse Historical Museum. Be inspired! Hemingway wrote books based on Petoskey Michigan.
6. Relax at Elvyn Lea Lodge. Perfect for creating memories with family and friends, retreats and those long awaited reunions.
7. Shop, eat and enjoy wine at Symons General Store. A store by day and a wine cellar with a unique dining experience night. They have 400 different varieties of wine, yes 400!
What are your favorite things to do in Petoskey Michigan? What are your go to places to visit?
April | Minivan Adventures says
We enjoy walking/biking along the Little Traverse Wheelway. It is such a beautiful area up there! We especially enjoy it in the fall when the colors are so striking.
That sounds like a nice adventure too. The colors up there are amazing for sure.