Sweet Cornbread Recipe
Cornbread and chili just go together. We make a sweet cornbread that makes us do the happy dance. You can make this recipe in an 8×8 baking pan. We also have made this in cast iron too. Just depends on what you have for baking.
Here’s what you need to do, to make a delicious cornbread.
How to Make Sweet Cornbread
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick melted butter
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 can of corn, drained
Preheat your oven to 400F.
In a bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Once the dry ingredients are mixed, add the melted butter and mix again.
Add the egg and milk and blend together.
Dump in the canned corn and stir until mixed well.
Butter the 8×8 pan very generously.
Pour the mix into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
IF you put in creamed corn, you may need an additional 15 minutes cooking time.
- It’s important to mix all the dry ingredients together before adding the wet ingredients.
- The buttered pan helps keep the cornbread from sticking.
- Be sure to drain the can of corn or the mix will be very wet and need to cook even longer.
- You need to drain the canned corn or you will need additional baking time.
- Using creamed corn, will increase your baking time, up to around 15 minutes.
- Make muffins with this recipe, butter the pan or use cupcake liners.
- Leftovers can be warmed up and served with a bit of butter.
- Great for cornbread stuffing too.
We’ve also created a video to help show how we make it.