How to Make a Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie is our favorite pie. Not just for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Sometimes it’s for birthdays and just because we want pie. We love homemade pumpkin pie best. We make this family favorite recipe whenever we want a slice of pie.
When you can your own pumpkin, it makes pumpkin pie super inexpensive for to make. Enjoy making your pie all year round too with this recipe!
Did you know that pumpkins are vegetables? That means when you eat pumpkin, you are eating your vegetables (technically pumpkin is a fruit, but whatever)! And only 3/4 cup of sugar in this recipe for the entire pie.
- unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie crust store bought or homemade pie crust
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- ground nutmeg
- can pumpkin puree or 2 cups canned homemade pumpkin puree
- can evaporated milk
Serve with pumpkin ice cream.
Can You Use A Regular Pumpkin to Make Pie?
Pumpkin Pie is made using sugar pumpkins which are smaller and sweeter. You could use a regular pumpkin, but may need to add additional sugar or it will not be as sweet.
The Pumpkin Mix Looks Runny Like Soup. Is That Right?
When you mix everything together it is going to look like soup. It will thicken as it bakes. Place a baking sheet under the pie pan, so you can easily move it into the oven and avoid spilling in the oven.
How Do You Keep The Crust From Burning?
Once the pie crust is brown like you want, but the pie still needs to bake longer, you can place a #aff pie shield over the crust to keep it from burning. It is one of my favorite tools to use when making pumpkin pie.
Can I Use Pumpkin Pie Spice Instead?
Definitely. Use 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice in place of the spices noted in the recipe.
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Pie?
Speaking from personal experience, you can freeze pumpkin pie. You will want to bake the pumpkin pie, completely cover it in a freezer back and then place it in the freezer. I would also recommend using aluminum pie tins in the oven as they won’t break like glass would
Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Take your pie crust and remove it from the fridge to come to room temperature.
- In a bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves with the eggs.
- Add the pumpkin and mix.
- Add the evaporated milk and mix again.
- Put the pie crust rolled out round like the pie pan.
- Put it in the pie pan and create a crust on it as well.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie pan.
- Place into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350F and cook for 45-50 minutes, until toothpick comes out clear.