Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup In The Instant Pot
Love making soup on cold days and busy days? Or maybe you don’t want to fuss a in the kitchen. One of our favorites to make is broccoli cheese soup. On a cold day grab your Instant Pot. You can make Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup. It goes pretty quick once everything is put into the pot and closed up.
This recipe is versatile enough where you can make it with frozen or fresh broccoli. Whichever you have on hand, the pressure cooker will cook the veggies in the soup into perfection.
If you read anything on this post, don’t add milk into the Instant Pot before cooking or it will curdle the milk. Ask me know I know.
What Ingredients Are Needed to Make the Soup?
- broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- carrot cubes (fresh or frozen or shredded carrots)
- butter (or olive oil)
- dried minced onion (can use fresh chopped onion)
- chicken broth (could use vegetable stock)
- black pepper
- half and half
- cheddar cheese
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli For Soup?
Your broccoli cheese soup can use frozen broccoli and broccoli florets. Fresh broccoli also works, chop it in to 1-2 inch pieces. If you have frozen cut up carrots, you could use this too.
What Can I Substitute For Chicken Broth?
If you don’t have chicken broth or chicken stock, you can use a bouillon cube or water seasoned with salt and pepper. If you don’t want to use chicken, you could also use a vegetable broth.
Is This Broccoli Cheddar Soup Chunky or Smooth?
This broccoli soup is a chunky recipe. It can easily be made smooth (if desired) by running the broccoli soup through an immersion blender. You can keep the soup in the Pot and puree the soup to your desired consistency.
Quicker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pound frozen broccoli chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper to your taste
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half creamer
- Put the Instant Pot on sauté.
- Add the butter and allow to melt with the minced onion.
- Add the flour and stir to mix flour and butter together.
- Pour the broth into the pot and stir until their are no lumps. Use your favorite whisk.
- Add the broccoli, celery, carrots and stir.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set for 8 minutes. on high pressure.
- Allow to cook for 8 minutes, then NPR (natural pressure release) and then do quick release and remove the top.
- Turn the Instant Pot back on to sauté and add the pepper, cheese, milk and half and half.
- Stir to incorporate. Cheese should be melted and the soup should be medium heat.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Serve soup and enjoy.
- For a very creamy soup, you can use heavy cream
- If you want your vegetables smaller, you could use a food processor
- Cooking time includes the estimated time you are waiting for the soup on natural release pressure
- Frozen veggies are fine to use for this recipe
- If you don’t have a pressure pot, you can use a dutch oven, but it will need simmer until the broccoli is softened.
- You can use corn starch in place of flour to make your roux.
- If you want extra cheese add it to your bowl versus all the soup.
- Use a sharp cheddar, it will add flavor to your soup.
- If you don’t want sharp cheddar, use a mild cheddar.
- Pre shredded cheese will have a thicker to help thicken your soup.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- Serve in a bread bowl and eat the bowl too!
If you love soup, check out these recipes: