Homemade Apple Butter
I had no idea that canning apple butter was so easy. Well, minus peeling the apples, it was easy. It’s very similar to making apple sauce.
Whether you have apples trees (like us) or you purchase them from an orchard or store, you can make delicious apple butter too.
When you are cutting so many apples, they will tend to start to brown, that is where the lemon in the water should help keep them from browning.
You want chop up the apples once they are soft. I found the blender worked wonderfully for this. It got me the applesauce consistency without liquefying.
Canning Apple Butter
Use this butter like you would jam. On toast or bread. It’s going to be delicious.
Is Apple Butter Good for You?
While it does have apples, homemade apple butter does contain white granulated sugar in it.
Can You Substitute Water for Apple Juice?
You can, but it is not necessary.
What Kind of Apples Do You Use to Can Apple Butter?
You should use baking apples, like fuji, gala, or granny smith apples (that’s just a few). Apples that are baking apples, not slicing apples, will soften when cooked.
Do You Have to Process the Apples in a Slow Cooker?
No. You do not need a slow cooker. You can use a large pot, like a dutch oven to process the apples.
Is it Easier to Make This Apple Butter Recipe on the Stove or Crock Pot?
It is easier to use the slow cooker, but it will take longer. If you cook it on the stove, you will need to monitor it and stir so it does not burn.
Do You Need an Immersion Blender to Make Apple Puree?
No, but it would be easier to have an immersion blender. You can use a stand blender to mix the apples and make them into a puree. You will need to use caution with this as it is hot liquid you are dealing with.
How Long Does the Butter Last?
You can keep homemade apple butter for about 2 years. Be sure to date and label your cans after processing. Toss out any apple butter older than that.
Can You Change Apple Butter Sweetness?
Yes, you can add a little apple cider vinegar or lemon.
Do You Need to Peel the Apples to Make this Apple Butter Recipe?
Yes, we recommend it as it changes the texture and could be bitter if you don’t.
How To Can Apple Butter
- 16 medium size soft apples, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- In a large pot, add the water lemon juice and apples.
- Cook on medium heat and stir so that all the apples soften.
- When you are able to cut apples with your ladle/spoon they are soft. They also look more translucent.
- Add the apples into a blender and blend until they look like apple sauce.
- Put back into the pan, and add the sugar, cinnamon and ground cloves)Stir to incorporate into the apples and continue cooking.
- Allow to come to a slow bubble, continue to stir. When you it stays on your spoon in a mound without running everywhere, it's time to put into the jars.
- Leave 1/4" headroom from the top of the jars.
- Add the seal and band.
- Put it water bath for 15 minutes (15 minutes starts once water comes to a boil)Remove and allow jars to seal.
- Write the date and what it is on the seal or use fancy labels.
Check out our other canning recipes.
Leave a Reply