Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
The secret to making creamy mashed potatoes, is to add a little sour cream. My kids prefer the smoothness and taste of of mashed potatoes with sour cream. There are great served anytime you are making mashed potatoes and you do not need to make them in big quantities.
Mashed potatoes made with sour cream are creamier and smooth. This recipe makes about 6 servings.
about 2.5 pounds of potatoes
pepper to taste
stick of butter
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
chopped chives to top the potatoes
Making Mashed Potatoes
Peel and wash the potatoes and cut them into 2 inch pieces, placing into a pot.
Fill the pot with water about 2 inches over the potatoes, cooking on medium heat.
Once the potatoes are cooked (you can put a fork in them easily and they may fall apart).
Remove from heat and drain the potatoes.
Add stick of butter and pepper.
Mash them slightly with the potato masher.
Add the sour cream and mash a bit.
Add the the milk in to make creamy.
Smash/mash the potatoes, getting most of the lumps out.
Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.
Mashed Potato Tips:
- We use Idaho potatoes, but Yukon Gold or Reds may work for this, we just haven’t tried it out
- If you potatoes are creamy after adding the sour cream, you may not want to add milk
- Instead of milk, you could reserve liquid from boiling the potatoes and use instead
- We go light on the pepper when making, so people can add pepper to their liking at the table
- To heat up left overs, you can add a little water and stir and place in the microwave
- Want them super creamy, use half and half or heavy cream instead of milk
- Serve with your favorite ham or turkey dinner