Easy Canned Potatoes
When potatoes went on sale (since we didn’t get a lot of potatoes from the garden), We’ve canned potatoes. When you can get 5 pounds of potatoes for around $1, it’s a good deal and time to can. Even better if you grow fresh potatoes from your garden to save money.
Salt is optional for canning them and we do use as we season while we are cooking versus canning. Use a tea kettle to heat up water for pouring into the jars for canning.
We share several canning recipes that we use to save money.
Ten 5 pound bags (50 lbs of potatoes) of potatoes made 43 quart jars of potatoes.
How to Can Potatoes
- sanitized quart jars, jar lids & jar bands
- pressure canner
- canning utensils
- salt (1/2 teaspoon per pint, 1 teaspoon per quart) (optional)
- Boil the lids to sterilize (until the water boils).
- Peel the potatoes using your favorite potato peeler.
- Remove any brown spots on the potatoes.
- Dice the potatoes or use a french fry cutter to get a uniform shape, about 1 inch in size.
- Place the potatoes into a pan and fill with water.
- Cook the potatoes, like you would mashed potatoes, but stop cooking after 10 minutes.
- Use a spoon with holes to drain water, and fill the jars with potatoes below the neck of the jar.
- Add the salt if you are adding into the jars.
- Fill the jar with hot water up to the neck of the jar, leaving an 1 inch space between the water and lid.
- Clean the jar rim with a clean wet, sterile towel.
- Place the lid and band on the jar and hand tighten.
- Place the jars in the pressure cooker (about 7 quarts fit in my pressure cooker) with at least 1 inch of water over the jars.
- Ensure to put the pressure regulator on the pressure cooker to allow pressure to build.Let pressure build to 10 pounds.
- Once pressure is at 10 pounds, set a timer and allow it to maintain this pressure for 35 minutes for pints or 40 minutes quarts.
- Turn off the heat and wait for the pressure to go to zero.
- Remove the jars and place on the counter to cool.
- Repeat until all the potatoes are processed.
How Long Do Canned Potatoes Last?
According to Practical Self Reliance, potatoes are good for 12 to 18 months.
Do you Can Whole Potatoes?
You should use diced potatoes for canning. You will ensure they are par cooked (partially cooked) and safe for processing and eating later.