Simple and Easy Tiramisu
Love a light and fun dessert after your favorite lasagna dinner? You will enjoy this delicious and easy tiramisu recipe. It is not super sweet. And if you love coffee (or rum), this is the perfect dessert for you.
Between the lady fingers there is a delicious fluffy and light cream. They act as the ‘cake’ portion. They soften into a delicious dessert.
We have found that you can use strong instant coffee or espresso to make the coffee.
We’ve made this in a 8×8 dish, but you can use a round dish, 9×17, 9×9 or whatever you have on hand.
What Can I use Instead of Mascarpone in My Tiramisu?
You can use use a combination of heavy cream and cream cheese or a mixture of both instead to make your whipped cream mix.
Why Don’t You Combine All the Filling Together at Once?
The raw eggs are tempered with the milk to cook them. They will then need to cool. If you were to add that into the heavy cream, you would not be able to whipped that easily into whipped cream, it will melt.
You can make the egg/mix in advance and allow to cool before moving onto the next steps of your recipe.
If you like this recipe, try our Kahlua chocolate fudge cake.
Easy Tiramisu Recipe
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temp
- 1/3 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee, room temp
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua/2 tablespoons rum
- 2-3 ounce packages lady finger cookies
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
Making Cream Mixes
- In a medium size sauce pan, add the eggs and sugar and whisk together. Whisk in the milk and cook on medium heat.
- Continue to stir while heating so the mixture doesn't clump.Bring the mix to a boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and let cool.
- You can place the mix in a covered bowl and let cool overnight as well.
- In a large bowl, add the heavy cream and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- Once cooled take the egg mix and add to the marscapone, blending thoroughly.
- Add the whipped cream into the egg mix and stir gently until mixed.
- In a smaller bowl, add the coffee and rum together.
Assembling the Dessert
- Place the coffee into a container big enough to dip the lady fingers. Add the rum or Kahlua to the coffee and mix.
- Dip the lady fingers into the coffee mix and then place into your pan. You can then brush more coffee mix onto them if desired.
- Spread half of the cream mix on top of the lady fingers.
- Add another layer of the lady fingers and coffee/rum mix.Spread the remaining cream mix on top evenly covering the lady fingers.
- Sift the cocoa on top of the tiramisu and cover completely.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow to sit 4-8 hours before enjoying your tiramisu.
- You can use espresso coffee or strongly made coffee.
- To add to the coffee flavor, use a coffee liqueur instead of rum.
- If you prefer rum, use rum!
- When dipping the lady fingers into the coffee mix, be quick, they are fragile and if they spend too much time in there, they will start to crumble.
Can I Use Real Coffee in Tiramisu?
Yes you can but it will not have a strong coffee flavor. It will have a stronger coffee flavor if you make it strong or use an espresso. Instant Espresso works as well!
What Can You Replace Lady Fingers With?
I have seen recipes that use shortbread cookies, sponge cake or pound cake that has been cut into 1 inch strips and toasted lightly. Biscotti is another great alternative to use.
What Alcohol is Used in Tiramisu?
I have seen several classic tiramisu recipes call for rum alcohol to make the dessert. You can also use a cognac or coffee liqueur, like Kahlua, to give a coffee punch.
Check out our other delicious dessert recipes.