Sour Cherry Muffins
Muffins are a great way to start your day. Homemade muffins are better than store bought for several reasons. They cost less and you know exactly what you are in them. Sour cherry muffins are even better. You get to have some fruit with your muffin.
When making your own muffins, it allows you to adjust the sugars to you taste.
Living in Michigan allows us to use fresh Michigan cherries in our recipes. We pick our cherries, pit them and flash freeze them to use all year long. When you find sour cherries in the store (bonus if they are on sale), it’s a great time to pick them up and make some of your favorite treats, like muffins!
What is your favorite flavor of muffins to make?
Can You Use Melted Butter to Make Muffins?
This recipe needs soft butter. Melted butter will change the consistency of the batter and it may be more liquidy and take longer to bake.
Should You Use Fresh or Frozen Cherries?
You can use either, but it make take longer for the frozen cherries to bake. If you thaw the cherries first, drain them as well (or do not include the milk if there is a lot of juice). If you find your batter is a little soupy with the frozen cherries, you could add a little flour, you want it more than pancake thick.
Can you Add Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream?
Definitely. You can swap Greek yogurt for sour cream, equal parts.
Do You Measure the Tart Cherries Before or After Pitting?
We always measure the tart cherries after pitting. The volume changes a LOT after the pits are removed.
Can You Make These Muffins Chocolate Cherry Muffins?
Definitely! Add 1 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk chocolate chips). If you want to really make them chocolatey, add 1/3 to 2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder to the batter. You may need to add a little more milk to keep the batter from being to dry.
Tart Cherry Muffin Recipe
- 2 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups pitted tart cherries
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray the muffin tin or use cupcake papers (much easier clean up to use cupcake papers).
- In a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder and cherries and mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the egg and whisk until the egg yolks turn a lighter yellow.
- Add the sugar into the egg and mix.Add the butter and mix into the egg and sugar.
- Add 1/2 the sour cream and mix and then add the remainder, the milk and mix.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet gradually and stir until incorporated.
- Fill the muffin tins to the top of the liners or top of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let Cool eat and enjoy!