With the beginning of May in Holland Michigan, it means Tulip Time Festival is just around the corner. Tulip Time has been celebrated in Holland for almost 90 years. Here you will find a community celebrating their Dutch traditions, weather costumes, wearing wooden shoes, eating Dutch delicacies and the beautiful flowers.
There are many events going on you will want to plan your trip around. There are a parades not only on the weekend, but check the schedule of events to find out if there will be a parade during your visit. Yes, they have more than one!
There is dancing going on every day of the festival. People are dressed up in authentic costumes and those wooden shoes. Watch them klomping and whirling showcasing traditional dances.
Take a Tour – Holland Michigan
You can take a tour aboard the Tulip City Tour trolley. You can only purchase tickets for the current day when you go to the tulip time website. Tickets are available until they are sold out. They offer two different tours, classic and plus. The different to me is the classic tour you do not get time to explore and the PLUS tour you can and it goes to Windmill Island Gardens.
family fun activities
There are several family fun activities for your family do, including the carnival, Tulip Princess tea party, Kinderplaats (where you can go and learn about Dutch culture and history). Don’t forget the fireworks on the last night of the festival! Take a tour of the windmill on Windmill Island is a great experience too. There is a beautiful working carousel for the family to ride.
What to Know before You Go – Tulip Time Festival Tips
- visit Tulip time for a map and events happening
- wear comfortable shoes – you’ll be walking A LOT
- you can take the Orange Express for free to Windmill Island Gardens
- Take the park and ride shuttle and let them do the driving for you. It’s $1 per stop or get a wristband for $5 good all week
- the festival is only 9 days long
- you can buy tulips at select locations!
- there will be pollen, so prepare ahead of time
- there is free parking at Windmill Island Gardens (it is limited), there is a per person fee for entrance
- you can walk to the island if there is no parking available, it’s about a mile walk
- you can tour the windmill on Windmill Island for a fee
- bring your camera – so many beautiful moments to capture
Interesting Facts about the Tulip Time Festival:
- the city plants over 200,000 tulips in the city parks and downtown Holland
- over 100,000 tulips are planted on Windmill Island Gardens
- you can buy tulips while at the festival
- over 500,000 visit Holland annually
- there are several parades throughout the week to see
- it may be cold, but so worth visiting and seeing the tulips in bloom
Things To Do in Holland Michigan – Tulip Time
- take a tour of the Holland Bowl Mill. They handcraft hardwood bowls. You can take a tour Monday through Friday.
- buy DeZwaan milled wheat. Milled by the only authentic working Dutch windmill in the United States.
- buy tulips. It’s their thing!
- explore downtown. There are great shops to see and shop at.
- visit the museums. There are great museums to explore.