Make the Best Caramel Sauce Recipe
Have you ever considered making your own homemade caramel sauce? It is cheaper than buying it (I think it tastes better too).
It’s pretty easy to make, just takes a little patience. It is the perfect homemade holiday gift too. You make this in small jars and can send with a basket of apples.
Easy Caramel Recipe
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- sterile wet cloth
- 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- slow cooker with water in it
- The jars and bands, should be sterilized before you start.
- Open a can of sweetened condensed milk and pour it evenly into your clean canning jars.
- Wipe the seal to ensure no milk go on the seal, wipe down the jar if it spilled.
- Seal with a lid and and hand tighten the jars and place them in your slow cooker.
- Fill the slow cooker with water, covering the jar.
- You will want the jars to stay covered with water the entire time they process, so put a good 1+ inches of water above the jars (if possible) and cover.
- Put the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Once your sweetened condensed milk reaches that pretty caramel color, it's done.
- You don't want the caramel to cook to long or it can burn and taste burnt.
- Remove the jars and place them on a towel on the counter. Allow them too cool. The jars should seal as they cool. You can then store the homemade caramel sauce for a few months before eating.
How Do You Melt The Caramel?
Place the jar in the microwave and microwave in 30 second intervals.
If you want to make as a gift, you can cook as many as your slow cooker will hold.
- Use 4oz jars to fit in your slow cooker
- 2 jars of condensed milk makes 3 half pint pars of caramel
- Have a sterile wet cloth on hand, things can get sticky
- You can use a funnel to keep the mess down, we just wiped things down
- Once the milk turns a caramel color, it’s done!
- Make this for gift baskets with apples and your other favorite canned jellies and jams