Homemade Ground Bologna Sandwich
Don’t you love ground bologna sandwiches? My mom used to make them with the meat grinder and they were good. When my husband came into the picture, he shared a secret ingredient his mom used to brighten up the color and I was surprised.
You can adjust the ingredients to your taste. Don’t like pickles as much, reduce the amount.
We make ground bologna sandwiches in small batches. We try to find the smallest package of ring bologna we can, so we can make 3-4 sandwiches.
This is a great sandwich spread to make for lunches. Make it larger batches for parties. You could also serve with butter crackers instead of sandwiches.
How does your family enjoy this sandwich spread?
Do You Need a Electric Grinder or Can You Use A Manual?
You can use either one you have. We have an attachment from our Kitchen Aid, and it works well, we sometimes run the meat through twice to grind it up to the consistency we want. You can grind pickles up too if you don’t have relish, which is handy (either manual or electric).
How Can you Enhance The Color of the Sandwich Spread?
Adding a packet of red powder drink mix, strawberry or cherry flavor enhances to color of the sandwich spread. This is something my husband’s mother did at the hospital cafeteria she worked at.
Can You Use Mayonnaise Instead of Salad Dressing?
You can, but it will totally change the taste of the sandwich spread. Do what you works for your tastes. You can also use salad dressing instead of mayonnaise.
How Long Does the Sandwich Spread Last
We only keep this for a week in the refrigerator. This is not something that we would freeze and serve later. The texture would be different.
Ground Bologna Sandwich Spread
- 1 ring bologna
- 1 cup dill pickles
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1 teaspoon strawberry/cherry jello this is optional and for coloring
- Using your meat grinder, remove the casing from the ring bologna and grind the entire ring. We use a low profile bowl or plate.
- Grind the pickles next. If you do not have dill pickles, you can use relish instead.
- Move the mix into a larger bowl for mixing.
- Add the miracle whip and mix well.
- Add your optional red fruit drink mix for color and mix well.
- Serve on top of your favorite bread and enjoy.
- Leftovers should be refrigerated. If you are sending with someone for lunch, be sure you have an ice pack in their lunch bag.