How to Can Sweet Corn Yourself
Have you ever thought about canning your own corn? Maybe your store or local farmer/farmer’s market has some really delicious corn you’d like to eat all year long. With a little patience, you can can sweet corn.
Save the cobs to make corn cob jelly.
I read online about putting the corn in a bundt pan, on top of that little hole.
That works great, if you like corn to end up in your sink.
And once you start to remove the corn, the cob gets smaller and goes into that little whole, no so good idea then. Waste of corn.
What I found works better is taking a kernel cutter, put the cob inside the bundt pan, instead of the on top of the hole. The corn doesn’t go flying everywhere.
TIP: Corn expands, so only fill with corn up to the neck of the jar (where it starts to narrow).
Trust me. It makes a mess otherwise.
How To Can Corn
How to Can Corn | Sweet Corn Canning
- bands and lids
- sweet corn, removed from cob
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, per pint jar
- Boil the lids to sterilize (until the water boils)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint.
- Fill pint jars with corn below the neck of the jar (corn expands so leave space!)
- Fill the jar with hot water up to the neck of the jar, leaving an 1 inch space between the water and lid.
- Place the lid and ring on the jar and tighten slightly.
- Place the jars in the pressure cooker (about 10 pints fit in my pressure cooker you can double stack if you have a second rack, making it 20 pints in a tall canner that you can can at one time)
- Ensure to put the pressure regulator on the pressure cooker to allow pressure to build.
- Let pressure build to 10 pounds.
- Once pressure is at 10 pounds, set a timer and allow to maintain this pressure for 55 minutes (1 hour 25 minutes for quarts).
- Turn off the heat and wait for the pressure to go to zero by itself. Allow the canner to sit for 5 minutes before removing top after it depressurizes.
- Remove the jars and place on the counter to cool.
- Change the water between batches and repeat as many times you need to complete canning of your corn.
- Cover the jars with a towel to allow them to cool slowly.
- Place the date and what is in the jar with a sharpie marker.
Can You Water Bath Can Corn?
No. Corn is not acidic and requires to can canned in a presser canner. Only vegetables high in acid can be water bath canned.
How Long Does Canned Corn Last?
It can last 1-2 years in the jars. Make sure you date and label your corn so you know it’s freshness.
What Size Canning Jars Do You Use to Can Corn?
You can use quart jars or pint jars whichever you prefer when canning corn. If you have a smaller family, you may want to use pints, so that you don’t have extra leftovers. Use quarts if you need larger amounts. Left overs can always be used to make corn bread.