Home Baked Brown Bread Recipe
Get the taste of brown bread you love at restaurants at home. We’ve got a recipe that makes 2 loaves. This is perfect to use for toast, sandwiches or served with soup.
Brown bread has a more distinct delicious flavor compared to baking traditional white bread. There is another level deliciousness. If you like making banana bread or cheese bread, brown bread should be on your baking list too.
What Makes This Brown Bread?
The bread is brown due to molasses. The molasses gives a deep rich color along with a distinct taste that adds a lot of flavor. Play with the recipe by adjusting the amount of molasses, you may need to add additional flour.
- warm water
- active dry yeast
- vegetable shortening
- rolled oats
- all purpose flour
- melted butter/vegetable oil
- cooking spray
Is Whole Wheat Flour Used?
This recipe uses all purpose flour. This is an old recipe from the 1950s. There are newer recipes that use wheat flour. If you adjust your bread using wheat flour, note that wheat flour is denser and may not rises as much.
Do You Add Sugar To Brown Bread?
As this recipe states below, we do not add sugar to the brown bread recipe. Any sweetness will come from the molasses (it’s a type of liquid sugar)
What Kind Of Oats Are Used?
We used old fashioned oats to make this brown bread recipe. You can optionally sprinkle a few on top if you want as well.
What Size Loaf Pan Is Used?
The standard size loaf pan is 9×5 inch. This recipe makes 2 standard size loaves. You can also use mini loaf pans. Each regular loaf makes 3 smaller mini loaves.
How Long Does the Bread Need To Rise?
The bread is overed in plastic wrap or a tea towel and will rise the first time for 15 minutes. The second time you let the dough rise, it will be in the loaf pan and will rise until double in size or above the pan.
Do You Need Bread Flour?
This easy-to-prepare bread recipe uses all-purpose flour.
Is This An Irish Brown Bread?
No. Irish Soda Bread incorporates several ingredients, including whole wheat flour, water, salt, sugar, and yeast.
How Long Does This Bread Recipe Bake?
The brown bread takes about 35 minutes to bake. You will want it to get a nice golden brown. You may notice a smell in your kitchen, that is a sign that your bread is/or is almost ready.
Can You Bake This Bread In A Dutch Oven?
You can. I have not done this, but I think you would use the entire dough in the Dutch oven. Be sure to line it with parchment paper and put water in the oven to add moisture.
Homemade Brown Bread Recipe
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 6 1/2 cups flour
- olive oil
- baking spray
- Mix together warm water, yeast and vegetable shortening.
- Add molasses, salt and 1 cup flour and mix.
- Once mixed add oatmeal and rest of flour.
- Mix together until the dough has come together.
- If the dough is sticky (sticking to your fingers), add a little more flour.
- Place a little olive oil or butter on the top of the dough and cover.
- Allow the dough to rise for 15 minutes.
- Separate into 2 equal portions and form into a loaf.
- Spray the loaf pans with non stick spray or butter.
- Place the loaves into the pans and cover. Allow the loaves to double in size, putting a little butter/oil on top of the loaf. You can sprinkle oats on if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Once dough has risen to top of loaf/doubled in size, bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the pan.