Making Chive Vinegar with Chive Blossoms
If you want to add a little chive flavor to your dish, having some on hand will give your dish another level of flavors. You can use chive vinegar in your salad dressings, in soup and on your roasted veggies. See how easy it is to make infused vinegar.
How Do You Make Chive Blossom Vinegar?
It only takes 2 ingredients: vinegar and chive blossoms. A little time and you will have flavor infused chive vinegar. Read how we made ours.
How To Make Chive Blossom Vinegar
- 1 quart jar with band and seal
- 6 cups chives
- white vinegar/champagne vinegar
- Pick chive blossoms before they are brown or going to seed.
- Place in bowl filled with water.
- Rinse several times to clean the blossoms.
- Allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain water from blossoms and place on clean tea towel.
- Gently press blossoms to remove excess water.
- Place the chive blossoms into a sterile quart jar.
- Fill the jar with blossoms, pressing them down gently until the jar is full.
- Add the vinegar into the jar and fill it almost to the rim.
- Place the band and seal on the jar.
- Put the jar into a cool dark place and let it sit for 7-14 days. (the longer it sits, the more flavor it will have)
- Every few days, tip the jar to move the vinegar around.
- Use a mesh strainer to strain the vinegar from the flowers.
- Place the vinegar into a container with a top.
- The vinegar will keep for 2 months in the cupboard and about 6 months in the fridge.
- Alternatively, you can use white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar, whichever you prefer.
What Do You Do With Chive Blossom Vinegar?
You can store vinegar in the fridge and it will last about 6 months. If you leave it on your counter, it will last about 2 months.
What Do You Put The Chive Blossom Vinegar On/In?
The vinegar is good to make salad dressing with. Add a splash into your vegetables when cooking. Add into your soup. Include a little when making egg dishes. Anywhere you would add chives, consider a little dash of vinegar.
How Long Before the Blossoms Have Made Chive Vinegar?
It takes anywhere from a week to 14 days. You will need to store the jar in a dark cool place and turn the jar to stir things up every few days. The vinegar will start to turn a lovely shade of purple/pink color.
What Type of Vinegar is Used?
You can use champagne vinegar, but we use a white vinegar and it works as well. Other option include red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar. Use whichever is your favorite, but use warm vinegar/room for your infused vinegars.
Are Chive Flowers Edible Flowers?
Yes. You can eat the chive flowers. They should be ate while they are still purple and not turned brown. The chive blossoms have a bit of a onion flavor and infuses vinegar perfectly with the chive taste. You should wash and soak them a few times to remove any dirt and tiny bugs.