How to Make Peppermint Bark Recipe
I am always surprised to see how much stores charge to make certain snacks. Some are very easy to make, like this homemade peppermint bark. My recipe takes just 3 ingredients . And most of the making time is time to allow it to set up.
We’ve even made a two layered chocolate peppermint bark.
This has become a recipe that my daughter has me make to give to her friends for Christmas gifts. And they love it!
Perfect for when the kiddos say mom I signed you up to bring a dish for school. Or the hubby says he needs to bring a dish into work.
As long as you have white candy discs and candy canes, you are ready to begin making this yummy treat!
Add this homemade peppermint bark to your goodie boxes of treats to give for gifts this Christmas.
What Type of Candy Canes Do You Use?
You can use any type of peppermint candy cane you want. I prefer to buy the huge sticks (the ones that are 12 inches long) because I don’t want to unwrap a lot of small candy canes out of the paper. 2-3 sticks work perfectly.
How Do You Keep the Peppermint Bag from Breaking?
You can’t really keep it from breaking. But you CAN double bag the candy canes to help keep it from going everywhere. You can also cover the bag with a towel as well.
How Small Do you Make the Candy Canes?
You want smaller pieces. Something that is easy to eat. But you don’t want to pound the candy canes into powder.
Homemade Peppermint Bark
- 2 cups white chocolate melting discs
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup crushed peppermint sticks
- Take 1 huge candy cane (or several regular size candy canes) and place in a plastic back and beat them with a hammer or mallet.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate for 2 minutes.
- You will want to stir after 1 minute and check every 30 seconds after that until the discs are melted.
- If the discs are not melting smoothly and seem more a bit like frosting, add the oil.
- Add the crushed peppermint and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mix onto the silicone mat and spread out about 1/4" thick.
- Once spread out, allow to cool completely.
- Break into small pieces.
- Place in decorative containers or bags for gifts or serve on a platter.