Grandma’s Potato Salad Recipe
My grandma had the best potato salad. Sadly I didn’t get the recipe from her, but I knew what went into it. After playing with ingredients, I was able to recreate her old fashioned potato salad recipe or got it pretty close.
Our family enjoyed this recipe during family reunions. She would make a huge bowl full (think like for a huge crowd). And we would enjoy this while visiting with family at the park.
Old Fashioned Potato Salad
- 6 cooked and peeled russet potatoes, diced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, crumbled into pieces
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 cups cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- If you hadn't already, the potatoes should be boiled in water (with the skin on) and once a fork goes in easily, cool and then peel.
- Boil the eggs and peel and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, peel and dice the potato into 1/2" cubes.
- Place into a 20+ cup bowl (you'll need the space to stir)You can use a chopper to chop the eggs, celery and onion.
- Mix into the potatoes.
- Mix the mustard, sugar and mayonnaise together.
- Pour into the potato mixture and stir thoroughly.
- The potatoes should be coated thoroughly.
- Keep in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
What Goes into Homemade Potato Salad?
- diced cooked boiled potatoes
- chopped hard boiled eggs
- diced onion (we use sweet)
- finely chopped celery
- yellow mustard & mayonnaise
Can You Use Miracle Whip to Make this Potato Salad?
You can, but it will change the taste of it. And it’s not how my grandma made it. She used mayonnaise. If your tastes are more for Miracle Whip, then try it and see if you like it.
Can Baked Potatoes Be Used Instead of Boiled Potatoes?
Definitely. You may find that you need to add additional liquid to the potato salad (more mayonnaise and mustard, if the potatoes were dry.
Do You Add Sweet Relish or Pickles?
Not in this recipe, but if you want to, knock yourself out!