How to Make Meatball Sub Sandwich
Why go out for a meatball sub, when you can make one at home with a few ingredients. Whether you make your own meatballs or love a good meatball sandwich, this recipe is for you.
You can easily make these sandwiches with precooked meatballs. They have lots of flavor and are a family favorite.
Depending on the size of your meatballs, will determine how many subs you can make. Smaller sub bread, requires less meatballs and larger bread requires more. That also would mean more cheese per sandwich as well.
Half our family is team fresh mozzarella and the other half is team bagged shredded. Either cheese will work for the meatball sub.
What Sauce is Best for a Meatball Sandwich?
Use your favorite tomato sauce to make your meatball sandwich. You will want to add some Italian seasoning or basil. You may want to add a little sugar to the sauce as well to sweeten it. The sauce needs to be warmed up as well so that all the flavors meld and the meatballs heat up.
Can You Make Your Own Meatballs?
Definitely. This will allow you to know what is in the meatballs. You can also freeze extras. But if you don’t have time, you can definitely use meatballs from the store.
What Can You Do With Leftover Meatballs?
How to Make Italian Meatball Sandwich
precooked meatballs(can be frozen or thawed)
- submarine sandwich bread
- mozzarella cheese (can be fresh or shredded)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (we used a sweet basil flavored sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a large pan, add your favorite tomato spaghetti sauce and turn on medium heat.
- Add the sugar and Italian season and stir.
- Add your meatballs into the sauce and be sure to get them down into the sauce, so that they heat up well. Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally to heat the meatballs (about 20-30 minutes).
- Place your sub bread on a baking sheet and open. Place meatballs on one side and add a little sauce to the meatballs.
- Add your mozzarella cheese on top of the meatballs and place into the oven.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on broil until the cheese melts on the meatballs, but you don't burn your bread.
- Remove from the oven once the cheese is melted and place the top of the sandwich on before eating.
- You could also eat your meatball sub as an open face sandwich.