Easy Canned Pineapple Recipe
There is a difference between fresh pineapple and canned pineapple. Did you know you can can pineapple and it will take just as good as fresh? When we had the opportunity to buy pineapples at a good price, we bought several. This allowed us to make pineapple chunks that we could can and eat later.
One ripe pineapple can make 1-2 pints. Smaller pineapples make about 1 pint from this simple recipe.
How To Can Pineapple
- canning utensils
- Water Bath Canner
- sterile canning jars, lids & seals
- sugar (optional if doing simple syrup)pot for syrup
- Boil the lids to sterilize (until the water boils).In a separate pot.
- Add 1 cup sugar to 5 cups water (for light syrup). 3 cups sugar to 5 cups water (for medium syrup). 4 cups sugar to 4 cups water (for heavy syrup).
- Bring to simmer. (you can use boiling hot water instead of simple syrup)
- Fill the water bath approximately half full of water and begin to heat.
- Cut and remove the top, bottom, and skin of the pineapple.Remove the core and cut the pineapple into 1 inch pieces.
- Fill the jars, leaving 1 inch head space.
- Add the simple syrup to the jars.
- You can twist the jars gently to get the air bubbles out or use a butter knife to remove the bubbles so that the water fills the jar.
- Clean the top of the jar and place the lid and ring on the jar and tighten slightly.
- Place the jars in the canner with hot water above the jars and cover.
- Allow the water to boil and keep in water bath for 20 minutes for quarts or 15 minutes for pints.
- Remove the jars and place on the counter to cool.
- Place the date and what is in the jar with a permanent marker.
Do You Get Pineapple Juice When Cutting up the Pineapples?
Yes, but no. There is not a lot of juice that comes out of the pineapple that is significant enough to drink. Maybe 1/4 cup at the most.
Tips for Canning Fresh Pineapple:
- Cut the pineapple and remove the outer skin.
- Cut the pineapple chunks into bite sized pieces
- We used pint jars, but if you use a lot of pineapple at a time, you can use quart jars.
- The pineapple will change colors during water bath canning. From a light color, to a darker color.