Homemade Hot Chocolate from Candy
Did you know you can make delicious homemade hot chocolate from candy? I had made some divine tasting hot cocoa simply and easily with just chocolate candy and milk. While usually drinking cocoa from a powder mix, this is another level of love for cocoa, I just had to share.
If you have a favorite chocolate you like to eat, I would suggest starting with that and see how it tastes to you.
I found that taking a chocolate that is super smooth and higher end than candy bar chocolate, elevated the taste of the hot chocolate.
cup or mug of hot milk
dark or milk chocolate candies
whipped cream (optional)
Microwave the milk until it is hot and steamy. Our microwave is 1200 watts and that took 2 minutes.
While whisking the milk add 1 chocolate at a time. Ensure you are getting the bottom and sides as chocolate will melt on the sides of the mug and also on the bottom.
Add another chocolate and whisk. Repeat this 2-3 times and then sip the cocoa to test to see if it is perfect for your tastes. Add more chocolate if desired.
Top the hot chocolate with whipped cream if you like.
Sprinkle with cocoa or cinnamon for an added elegance and flavor.
Tips for making homemade cocoa
- Try making cocoa with dark and milk chocolate. We like a mix of both, but each are awesome.
- The milk has to be warm enough that it can melt the chocolates.
- Consider having the chocolates sitting out at room temperature, to help them melt quicker.
- For an awesome result, use quality chocolate candy.
- We used 2% milk for our homemade hot chocolate, you could use whole milk too. Not sure of the creamy-ness from skim milk.
- Give a candy bouquet and make hot chocolate