Inexpensive Goulash Recipe
Looking for a recipe that doesn’t cost a lot and can be made with just a few ingredients? You will want to make this goulash recipe. It can be made with fresh veggies or it can be made with canned, whichever you have on hand.
1 pound ground beef
1 quart stewed tomatoes (or 1 small onion, small green pepper and 1 can crushed tomatoes)
2 cups macaroni/ (1/2 pound) penne pasta
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 – 11 ounce can tomato juice
In a large pan, brown the ground beef and add black pepper. (if you are using fresh onions and peppers, chop and add in while ground beef browns so they soften).
In a medium size pot, cook the macaroni in water until al dente.
Once brown, add the stewed tomatoes to the ground beef and bring to a simmer.
Drain the macaroni and mix into the ground beef.
Add the 2 cans of tomato juice.
Allow to simmer so everything is heated up.
Serve and enjoy.
- The veggies need to be chopped into 1/2″ to 1 inch pieces. Having a can of crushed tomatoes will work in place of stewed tomatoes as well.
- Make sure to cook the macaroni until it’s al dente. This will allow the macaroni to absorb some of the flavor from the goulash and not become soggy looking pasta.
- You can freeze leftovers (if there are any) and enjoy later.
- As an alternative to using tomato juice, you could use a can of tomato soup to add flavor to this recipe and 1/2 cup of water.
- You could used crushed tomatoes and add chopped onions and peppers to your dish.