Easy Homemade Pretzels
Looking for a snack you can enjoy in a variety of ways? You will want to make some homemade pretzels. By making them in different shapes, you get options on how to eat them. Sweet, salty, with sugar. And you can enjoy these soft pretzels, bun for a sandwich or hot dog or pretzel bites. Read below to find out how to make homemade pretzels for your next party or a snack for the week.
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make Homemade Pretzels?
For this pretzel recipe you need the following:
- warm water
- active dry yeast
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- coarse salt
- baking sheets with parchment paper
What Flour Is Best For Making Pretzels?
Bread flour is best for making this soft pretzel recipe. Using all purpose flour works if that is what you have as well.
Can I Make Pretzels Without Lye?
Yes. You can use baking soda and water to dip the pretzels instead of using lye.
What Toppings Can I Put On Pretzels?
Once the pretzels are done baking, spread melted butter over them when a brush. You can add salt or dip them in cinnamon-sugar. They are also great with beer cheese.
- You can shape the dough and make pretzel buns for sandwiches and hot dogs
- Make logs and cut into small pieces for delicious soft pretzel bites
- Use a portion of the dough and then place in floured plastic wrap and use the rest in 1-2 days.
- Bake up all the dough and freeze the extras to use later
Fresh Homemade Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- cinnamon-sugar optional
- coarse salt
- In a bowl, add the warm water and yeast and mix.
- Add the brown sugar and salt and blend in.
- Slowly add the flour until mixed well.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a bowl, add 2 cups of water and baking soda and stir well, setting aside.
- Take the bowl of pretzel dough and take a small 1/2 cup size piece.
- Roll it in your hands, you can add a little flour if it is too sticky, forming a long rope.
- Take the rope and turn it into a ‘n’ shape and then cross the ends, bringing them back up on the curved area of the ‘n’, to make a pretzel shape.
- Dip the pretzel into the baking soda water and remove, placing onto baking sheet.
- You can repeat this process to make pretzel shapes.
- To make pretzel bites, you just make ropes, dip in the baking soda water and cut into small 1 inch pieces.
- You can also make buns, sticks and hot dog buns, whatever you want pretzel!
- Dip them all into the baking soda water, and place into the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- While the pretzels are baking, you will want to melt butter, to spread over your pretzels.
- Once the pretzels are done, spread the butter over them when a brush. You can add salt or dip them in cinnamon-sugar.
- Serve with your favorite pretzel cheese.