When deciding where to go for a quick getaway, Put-in-Bay Ohio is one of our families top picks. When my kids hear me talking about heading to Put-in-Bay, their main question is, ‘You’re not going without me, are you?‘ With beautiful shorelines and family friendly activities, it makes a great getaway for our family. A big thanks to Miller Ferry, E’s Golf Cart Rental and Perry’s Cave and Family Fun Center for this great family friendly trip to Put-In-Bay Ohio.
Tip: Put-in-Bay is known for its nightlife on the weekends, but here is a tip. Tip: If you go during the week, (and not the weekend) you can enjoy a great time on the island with your family. Going during the week is also less crowded so you can tour around the island, at an islands pace too.
1. Get on the Island – Take a ferry ride with Miller’s Ferry to the island. You can take your vehicle with you. You can say goodbye to the mainland and hello to the island with a quick 20 minute ride. Be sure to get a map to help you with navigating the island. Miller Ferry offers coupons on their site for various activities on the island, so check it out and print before you go!
2. Golf Cart – Once on the island you can take a bus into town, rent bikes or rent a golf cart. To make things easiest for our family and have flexibility, we rent a golf cart from E’s Golf Cart. They are located up the hill and to the right. You will find most people travel by golf cart for the convenience (including residence of the island).
fun learning experiences on Put-in-Bay
3. History – Perry’s International Peace Memorial & Visitors Center -the monument was created to honor those who fought in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. It celebrates the peace among the United States, Canada and Great Britain. Its shape is a doric column and is 352 feet tall. It is taller than the Statue of Liberty (305 feet). See breathtaking views of the island. Take the time to talk to the staff and ask them questions. They can tell you in detail about the battle and it’s significance. Stop into the visitor’s center for the park as well to learn even more and see a layout for the battle. This is a must do on your trip to the Island!
4. Aquatic Visitors Center – Hands on experiences are a must here. Check dates and hours of when they are open. Kids under 16 can fish for free (equipment provided). There are different programs going on for the kids to learn, review on their site for details. Your family can check out the aquarium, learn about the fish hatcheries and have some fun hands on experiences.
5. Perry’s Cave & Fun Center – Plan to spend a bit of time here. There is a lot to do. A round of War of 18 Holes golf, the maze, climbing wall, antique cars and the butterfly house are family favorites. You can take a tour of the crystal cave and it is cold underground, a great escape from the heat! Tip: If you are touring the cave, have good walking shoes, it can be slippery. It is also cool on the tour as it is below ground. Great on hot days!
6. Explore nature – From beaches, to trails and parks, you will find so many areas around the island with trails. Photo opportunities are endless. Use Miller Ferry’s interactive map to help find what you want to explore.
7. Water adventures – parasailing, kayaks, tubing and boat tours – Put-in-Bay offers has you covered. You are on an island, so it’s natural to play in the water at some point on your adventure. Tip: Bring your bathing suit!
8. Shopping – Lots of shopping downtown and on the pier to get your Put-in-Bay gear. Your kids will enjoy stopping at the Candy Store and take a ride on Kimberly’s Carousel that is over 100 years old (an original Allen Herschell carousel that was built in N. Tonawanda New York in 1917)
9. Lighthouses – Visit South Bass Island Lighthouse. It is open, but on specific dates and times. If you are not there when it’s open, it is still a great spot to check out. Beautiful flowers and the lighthouse itself are great photo opportunities to capture, along with the shoreline.
10. Food – There are so many great food opportunities for your family to enjoy. From breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between, the islands many restaurants have you covered. Most restaurants have their menu posted outside so you can review. Tip: restaurants can be busy at peak eating times, so go before you (or the kids) get hangry or have a snack and eat at an off time.
11. Downtown Park – DeRivera Park is located in downtown Put-in-Bay. There is a beautiful water fountain, sculpture and green area to sit and enjoy a picnic. You can find a play area for kids and public restrooms as well.
What is your favorite family friendly thing to do while on Put-in-Bay?