Homemade Cranberry Juice
Cranberries are not something that are always in the stores here in Michigan. So when we start to see them in the store about Fall time, we end up buying 4-5 bags a season. Canning cranberry juice is super easy and a great way to enjoy your fresh cranberries all year.
And if you are not sure if you’ll like it, you can just can a few jars and test it before committing to a large batch of cranberry juice. And then add this to your must can list.
How to Can Cranberry Juice
- sterilized jars
- bands and seals
- Water Bath Canner
- 2 cups washed cranberries per jar
- 1/3 cup sugar per jar
- hot water
- In each quart jar, add 1/3 cup sugar (you can add more if you want it sweeter).
- Add 2 cups of fresh washed cranberries into each jar.
- Fill each jar with hot water, leaving 1 inch head space.
- Wipe the rim of the jar clean with a sterile towel.
- Place a seal and hand tighten jar.
- Water bath can jars for 40 minutes.
- Label and date the jars.
- Allow the jars to sit for at least 6 weeks to extract flavor from the berries and soak.
- Once they have soaked, remove and strain berries out.
- While in the strainer, use the back of a spoon to extract the juice from the berries.
- Place the seal back on the jar and seal until use. Store in your refrigerator.
What Size Jars Should You Can With?
Because of the size of the berries, we suggest you use quart jars to make your juice.
How Long Do You Water Bath Can Cranberries?
Cranberry Juice Tips
- When canning cranberry juice, it takes 6 weeks before you can drink the juice, so the berries have time to release their full flavor
- Sort out any unripe berries
- Make sure your water in the water bath canner and in the jars is the same temperature to prevent jars for cracking
- Make a few or a lot of jars, depending on your love for cranberries
- Enjoy your favorite cranberry cocktail!
How Long Before You Can Use the Cranberry Juice?
You need to wait 6 weeks before using the juice. The berries need time to sit and infuse the water with flavor.
Will The Juice Need To Be Diluted?
This is not concentrated juice as water is added. If you feel it is too strong, you can dilute the juice to your tastes.