Canning San Marzano Tomato Sauce
Canning tomato sauce can be daunting sometimes. Such big batches of tomatoes, can make it an all day process. We have a small batch recipe that allows you to make your delicious San Marzano tomatoes and make 2-3 pints of tomato sauce. Perfect for your next spaghetti, lasagna or pizza.
If you already have your tomato juice, you can begin processing. We also share how to process your tomatoes to get your sauce with the instructions below.
6 1/2 cups pureed tomatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
How to Process Tomatoes
Take your San Marzano tomatoes, cutting the tops off and removing the seeds from inside.
Place in a colander and sprinkle the extra salt onto the tomatoes. Allow to sit for 1-2 hours, covered.
Cook the tomatoes in a pot until softened.
Process the tomatoes through a food mill.
Making the Tomato Sauce
In your small batch canner, place 3 1/4 cups of the tomato sauce and select the jam mode for 25 minutes.
After it beeps at 4 minutes, slowly add the remaining amount of tomato juice trying to maintain the temperature.
Add the pepper, garlic powder and salt, cover and allow the canner to process the remaining time.
Prepare lemon juice, the cans, seal and bands to can the sauce. Heat the water in the water bath canner as well.
Once the sauce is done processing, remove the top and begin canning into jars.
Wipe the rim of the jar with a wet sterile towel.
Place the seal and band on the jar and hand tighten.
Place the jar into the water bath canner and process for 35 minutes for pints. (adjust based on your elevation).
Once done processing, remove from the heat and place a towel around the jars to allow them to cool slowly.
Place the date and label what is in the jars.
Tips for Canning
- If you don’t have a Jam/Jelly Maker to stir for you, can use a timer and a spatula to stir and can.
- Placing a towel around the jars allow them to slowly cool This will take several hours, so place in a location that will not be disturbed.
- You can use Roma tomatoes if you do not have San Marzano.
- You can use oregano instead of Italian seasoning to make it pizza sauce.
- Cook the sauce before you use it in your dish, to reduce and thicken further.
- We have other canning recipes for tomatoes