How To Make Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows
Sweet potato casserole isn’t just for the holidays. You u can whip up that marshmallow goodness anytime you crave it! But, let’s be real, most of us end up only making sweet potato casserole with marshmallows when the holidays roll around or when sweet potatoes are on a killer sale.
This recipe is not hard to make, so grab some sweet potatoes and let’s make every day a sweet…potato day. And add this dish to your favorite Thanksgiving sides to make.
What Goes in The Casserole?
For our recipe you will need:
- cold butter
- cooked sweet potatoes
- brown sugar
- mini marshmallows
- chopped pecans (optional)
Can You Use Canned Sweet Potatoes For This Recipe?
You can used canned sweet potatoes. You will want to drain them before following our recipe.
How Do You Cook The Sweet Potatoes?
We used fresh sweet potatoes and baked them at 350 until they were soft. We have also baked them in the slow cooker until they were done as well to free up the oven.
Can This Casserole Be Make Ahead Of Time?
Yes. You can prepare your sweet potato casserole ahead, cover it and place it in the refrigerator. When you want to bake it, you will need to bring it out early, so that the dish comes to room temperature. You don’t want your casserole dish to break. If you are using a metal dish, you don’t have to worry about it breaking and it could go right into the oven to bake.
Does Everything Have To Be Mixed Well?
My answer is no. We like it with a little bit of butter pockets. If you want a smooth casserole, you can mix it together with a hand mixer (while in the bowl). This will get all the butter blended together and the brown sugar will be mixed in also.
Do You Have To Add Nuts?
Nuts are optional for this recipe. And if you don’t like marshmallows, don’t add the mini marshmallows either. When this recipe was made in the images and video, we did not add the nuts, but they can go on top of the casserole and then add the mini marshmallows.
Do half of the dish with marshmallows and half without if you want to balance out who likes nuts and marshmallows. And if they don’t like it, they can always remove it.
Perfect Sweet Potato Casserole | Marshmallow Heaven
- 6 warm baked medium size sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold cubed butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- While the sweet potatoes are still warm, remove the potato from the skin and place into a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes and remove any hard or skin you missed while removing from skin.
- Add the cold butter and brown sugar to the potatoes.
- Mix until as smooth as you desire.
- If you really want them smooth, use hand mixer to cream together.
- Pour potato mixture into the casserole dish and smooth out evenly.
- Place the mini marshmallows over the potatoes.
- Place the casserole dish into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the marshmallows start to turn brown, but are not black.