Corned Beef and Cabbage
Corned Beef and Cabbage is delicious when cooked right. We buy it when it’s on sale, usually around St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a recipe, that allows us to make our own corned beef hash, which is a great bonus meal from left overs.
Making this in the Instant Pot frees up your time to do other things while this cook.
This will take about 2 hours time and you do cook the veggies separate from the beef to keep the veggies from becoming mushy. If you don’t care, put it all together.
How Many Carrots, Potatoes are Used For This Recipe?
Adjust the number of carrots and potatoes you make up, depending on the crowd you are feeding. If you are wanting a lot of left overs, add more and make corned beef hash.
Why Is My Corned Beef Tough?
This can happen if your meat is not cooked long enough and allowed to release properly. To help the beef cook quicker, cut it in half. Instead of one large piece of meat, you will have 2 (or three) that will become tender in the Instant Pot.
Should the Brine Be Washed Off the Brisket?
It is very salty, you should wash it off.
Homemade Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 3 pound 3 pound corned beef (with spice bag)
- half head of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 6 peeled & cubed carrots
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1 lager beer
- 1 Tablespoon butter
Cooking Corned Beef
- Wash the brine off the brisket.
- Cut the corned beef in half.
- Place a tablespoon of butter in the Instant Pot and turn it on.
- The corned beef may come with a seasoning packet, if it does, put it on the meat.
- Place the meat into the instant pot and pour the beer onto the meat.
- Put the cover on the Instant Pot and set to 1 hour 30 minutes on high pressure.
- When the meat is done cooking, do a quick release.
- Remove the corned beef from the Instant Pot and allow to rest while cooking the vegetables.
- Place the cabbage, carrots and potatoes into the liquid from the meat/beer mix into the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot for 5 minutes on high.
- When done cooking, do a quick release.
- Cut the meat and plate with the veggies and serve.
Corned Beef Tips:
- Cutting the corned beef in half, allows it to cook quicker
- You can use baby potatoes and cut them in half
- Use baby carrots and no cutting would be needed
- If your corned beef doesn’t come with a spice packet, use salt & pepper
Leave a Reply