Homemade Pumpkin Roll
There is something special about a pumpkin roll. And they are so easy to make. I don’t know about you, but I’m not really into sharing a pumpkin roll. You can make this recipe and then hide it in foil in your fridge.
They only need 15 minutes in the oven at 375. You could make these for your family and friends for Christmas or for Thanksgiving celebrations. These would make great gifts for friends and family too. I would suggest making 2. We end up eating one for ourselves and have none to give out when we make one.
If you store your roll in the freezer until you give them as gifts or until you are ready to eat them, it will keep them fresher longer.
Things you’ll need:
bar pan/cookie sheet with a lip
Do You Have To Refrigerate The Roll After Assembling?
It should be stored in plastic wrap and refrigerate after assembling.
Can You Use a Hand Mixer to Blend?
Yes. If you have a stand mixer, that would work but may be more than is needed. A hand mixer works as well and stirring together with a spatula.
What Kind of Pan is Used to Bake the Batter?
We use a baking sheet and spread it thin. The sheet has a lip (a cookie sheet works great). Some suggest a jelly roll pan, but from what I can tell, it’s a baking sheet.
Can You Freeze a Pumpkin Roll?
Yes, the rolls can be frozen. You will want to cover in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. They should only be in the freezer for a few months.
How Do You Keep The Pumpkin Roll From Sticking To The Towel?
You can place powdered sugar on the towel to help minimize the cake from sticking. You need to use a tea towel or you make find the cake stuck to the towel.
What Causes the Pumpkin Roll to Crack?
When you roll the cake in a tea towel, if it is cools and you unroll it, it will crack. It is best to move the cake to a towel, allow it to cool completely and then add the cream cheese frosting to the cake. Roll the cake slowly.
If it does crack, when you roll it and put it into plastic wrap, it will come back together and is still edible and delicious.
Homemade Pumpkin Rolls
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 8 oz package softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In your bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda and pumpkin spice together.
- Stir until mixed, then add the pumpkin puree, apple sauce and lemon juice.Place parchment paper on the sheet and spray with non-stick spray (so the roll doesn't stick!)
- Pour the pumpkin mix on to the pan and with your spatula, spread the dough out evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 -20 minutes, until a toothpick pulls out clear & remove from oven.
- Take the clean towel and spread the 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar on the towel.
- Flip the pan on top of the towel and remove. The pumpkin sheet should now be on the towel. Allow the roll to cool.
- Clean your bowl and make the frosting, adding the cream cheese, vanilla and butter.
- Mix until there are no lumps.
- Add the powered sugar slowly until creamy.
- After the pumpkin roll is cooled, spread the frosting evenly.
- Immediately roll the pumpkin roll and wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place into the refrigerator.Allow to chill, serve and enjoy.