Strawberry Shortcake from Scratch
When Summer it’s time for those berry to ripen and make homemade strawberry shortcake. We also make this when we find fresh strawberries on sale and from extras we have stored in the freezer.
Serve with tender shortcakes or homemade biscuits and your homemade whip cream or cool whip.
How Many Strawberries Do I Need?
How may people are you making this for would be better question. If if it just for dinner, a pound of strawberries can feed 4-6 people. You may need to upgrade to a large bowl if you are making for a bigger crowd as well as adjust the amount of sugar you need to sweeten the strawberries.
What Do You Use for the Cake for Strawberry Shortcake Recipe?
We typically make biscuits and make extra or use leftovers to make strawberry shortcake. You can use your favorite baking mix to make biscuits or you can use the kind in the tube to make this recipe even quicker.
Do You Make the Biscuits or Strawberries First?
Start by crushing up the strawberries. While they are sitting an melding with the sugar, you can work on your shortcake recipe.
How Much Sugar Do You Use?
Depending on the sweetness of your strawberries, determines how much sugar is needed. We have used a quarter to a cup of sugar to make the strawberry syrup. Allow your fresh berries to sit in the sugar and this will create juicy strawberries that are melding and mixing delicious sweetness.
Can You Use Frozen Strawberries?
If you have fresh strawberries that you are going to freeze, you can freeze them quartered or halved. Once frozen strawberries are thawed, you can add sugar to them to use as strawberry filling on your dessert.
Can You Make Whipped Cream?
Definitely, and it tastes amazing. Use heavy cream (heavy whipping cream) and a little granulated sugar (white sugar). You will mix together until have soft peaks form. Top your strawberry shortcake with whip cream and add a little extra if you want to indulge.
What If You Don’t Have Strawberries?
You could use strawberry jam if you don’t have strawberries. You will want to heat up the mix and add a little water to thin it, so it will pour easier.
Delicious and Simple Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 pint washed, quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5-6 shortcakes or biscuits
- Wash your fresh strawberries.
- Remove the hull and cut the berries into quarters.
- Taste the strawberries for sweetness.
- Add 1/4 cups of sugar, more if the strawberries were tart.
- Using the potato masher or a fork, crush the strawberries slightly.
- Allow the strawberries to sit 5 minutes and crush again.
- Crush the berries again and allow to sit longer.
- Start preparing your biscuits and bake them.
- AFter sitting this last time, the berries should have formed some strawberry liquid. Crush the strawberries a final time so they are about pea size.
- Serve the strawberries on biscuits, cutting the biscuit in half and putting some strawberries in the middle and adding the biscuit top and more strawberries.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.