Slow Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage
We think of Corned beef recipes around St. Patrick’s Day, but you can definitely enjoy this year round. We’ve got an easy way for your to put this corned beef and cabbage in your slow cooker and have a no fuss meal at the end of the day.
Should You Rinse Your Corned Beef?
The brine that is on the brisket is salty. We’ve cooked it both ways, washing and not washing and found them both delicious. If you are watching your salt, you may want to rinse it. Either way, it will be juicy corned beef and delicious.
What Size Corn Beef Brisket Do You Need?
When shopping at the store, pick out a corned beef that is a good size for your family. We got about 2 pounds that that was able to feed 4 servings (half pound per person).
What Seasoning Do You Use for Corned Beef Brisket?
We use the seasoning packet that comes with the beef brisket along with garlic and bay leaves for this recipe. It already has the iconic mustard seeds that we expect to see in beef and cabbage recipes.
How Do You Cook Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage?
Cook corned beef in the slow cooker for several hours allowing the beef brisket to become tender. The last 2 hours of cooking, you add your cabbage, potatoes and carrots. This keeps them from becoming to soft. If you are going for a cabbage soup, you could cook everything together at once.
If you are short on time, you can also cook your corned beef in the Instant Pot.
What Other Kind of Liquid Can I Add to Cook?
If you want to add more flavor, you can use beef broth, but water works fine as well. Vegetable broth also works as a good substitute.
Do You Add The Vegetables In First?
We put the vegetables in the last 2 hours of cooking. This will cook the potatoes, soften the carrots and leave the cabbage a little more firm (not limp). We put the cabbage on top. If you have a preferred doneness, you can add your vegetables in sooner or cook longer.
What Can You Make With Left Over Corned Beef?
If you enjoy corned beef hash, you can use left overs to make this and freeze corned beef with the potatoes and carrots.
Slow Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 3 pound corned beef (with spice bag)
- half head of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 6 peeled & cut carrots
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
Cooking Corned Beef
- Add water to slow cooker.
- Cut the corned beef in half (this helps it cook quicker)
- Place corned beef into slow cooker.
- The corned beef may come with a seasoning packet, if it does, put it on the meat.
- Add in the garlic and bay leaves.
- Cook the corned beef for 4 hours.
- Place the cabbage, carrots and potatoes on top of the corned beef. (Cabbage on top)
- Place the top back on and cook for an additional 2 hours.
- Cut the meat and plate with the veggies and serve.