Slow Cooked Cabbage Stew Recipe with Smoked Sausage
Whenever my husband sees cabbage on sale, he starts talking about making stew. This is usually around St. Patrick’s Day. It’s an inexpensive meal to make and doesn’t take a lot of time (if you don’t count the 4-6 hours in the slow cooker). We make our cabbage stew recipe with kielbasa or smoked sausage and a couple other ingredients.
You do not need to add salt, as there will be salt from the sausage/kielbasa you use. You can make this for your St. Patrick’s day party or family gatherings. Freeze and serve left overs for later.
Watch our video on how to make cabbage stew.
cabbage, washed and cut into thin slices
1/2 pound carrots cut into bite size pieces
1 package smoked sausage (we use kielbasa with the casing removed)
32 ounces chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
In your slow cooker, add the cabbage, carrots and smoked sausage.
You can add the carton of chicken broth and then fill it 3/4 way full of water and pour over the ingredients until you can see the water.
Add the pepper and put the cover on the slow cooker.
Allow the slow cooker to cook on low for 4-6 hours. You’ll want the carrots to be tender for serving.
You can serve this as a boiled cabbage dinner or as a cabbage stew, whichever you prefer.
Cabbage stew tips:
- This recipe is a great set and forget dinner.
- Chop the cabbage into 1 inch strips, like you do lettuce for easy of cooking.
- Cut the kielbasa into inch bite size pieces.
- Cut the carrots small as well (peeled or not).
- If you can, stir the stew while it cooks.
- You will be able to smell the stew as it starts to complete the cooking process.
- Make this a budget friendly meal by making when cabbage is on sale.
- As an alternative, you can add the chicken stock, then add an Irish beer and then use water. This adds more flavor.
- Try our stuffed cabbage rolls!