Bake Pie Pumpkins
I love pumpkin everything. We have used pumpkin from a can, but a few years ago, we bought pie pumpkins and canned our on pumpkin after discovering most canned pumpkin is not just pumpkin, but also squash.
To soften a pumpkin, you need to bake it or microwave it.
Why Bake A Pie Pumpkin?
Baking the pumpkin adds flavor because the sugars in the pumpkin are enhanced. It does give another delicious flavor level. I have microwaved them as well, but prefer to bake them (microwaving mass quantities of pies killed my microwave)
What Can I Use Cooked Pumpkin For?
Baking Pie Pumpkin
- sharp knife
- ice cream scoop
- pie pumpkins (washed)
- Preheat oven 400F
- Make sure to wash the pumpkin before starting. You do not want to have or get dirt inside the part you are going to eat.
- Pat the pumpkin dry so you can easy gripe it while cutting.
- Remove the stem off the pumpkin if it's still on the pumpkin.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, from top to bottom in half.
- Use the ice cream scoop and scoop out the seeds and strings from inside the pumpkin.
- You can save the seeds for roasting or wash and save and plant next year.
- Place the pumpkin cut side down and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the pumpkin is tender and the outside is a nice dark color.
- Allow the pumpkin to cool and use the ice cream scoop to remove the pumpkin from the skin of the pumpkin.
- You can then puree the pumpkin for a smoother consistency for your baking.
What Kind of Pumpkin is Used for Baking?
You will want to buy what is sometimes called a sugar pumpkin. Sometimes called a pie or sweet pumpkin as well. They are smaller than the pumpkins you use for carving and usually can make 1 or 2 pies.
Can you Bake with Jack O Lantern Pumpkins?
Yes you can. There are mixed reviews on if you would want to eat it though. They will not be as sweet as pie pumpkin, but are good for making puree. You may find that they are watery and bland.
How Big Do Pie Pumpkins Get?
Pie Pumpkins can weigh anywhere from 2-4 pounds. The carving pumpkins can grow to 10 pounds or more.