Apple French Toast Casserole
I love apples and incorporating them into this French toast casserole was perfect. You can take canned apple pie filling (as this recipe does) and use it for this recipe, or use thin apple slices coated with cinnamon and sugar. Apple French toast casserole is like dessert and breakfast rolled into one. You get the sweetness, the crunch all in one bite.
half loaf of Italian bread, bite size pieces
1/2 cup milk or half and half
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 can apple pie filling
Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick spray, place the pieces of bread in.
In a bowl, add the eggs, milk, cinnamon and maple syrup. Mix well.
Pour mix over the bread evenly.
Place the apples over the bread, ensuring every area is covered well (so every piece will get a bite of apples).
Cover with plastic and place in the fridge to sit over night.
When ready to eat, let sit out on counter for an hour.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Remove plastic wrap. Place casserole in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes.
Allow the casserole to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- You can used canned apple pie filling or apple slices with cinnamon and sugar
- If you want to bake the same day, at least allow it to sit for 1-2 hours before baking
- If you do not have maple syrup, use 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- Use milk or to make it creamier, use half and half
- Serve with your favorite breakfast meat
- Freeze into single servings to enjoy all week long