Homemade Waffles Recipe
I love waffles. A LOT. I love those little machines at the hotel that serve the waffles. It wasn’t a great hotel (to me) unless they served waffles, and the waffles were good. So homemade waffles are a treat at our house.
These waffles are super delicious. They crisp up in the waffle maker while cooking. Once they are brown, they are done and ready to serve.
And see on our video how you can add a little strip of bacon and have bacon waffles. Soooo good.
This recipe makes 5-6 waffles on our waffle maker and about 12 mini waffles.
Is Pancake Batter the Same as Waffle Batter?
Our pancake mix is different than waffle batter with the leavening agents used and there is more sugar in the waffle batter to help them crisp up. Waffle and pancake batter both like to sit to let the baking powder and baking soda activate and add bubbles for fluffy waffles/pancakes.
Can You Add To the Waffle Batter?
Yes. We have added mini chocolate chips, par-cooked bacon and cheddar cheese (not all together). Mini chocolate chips tend to be the last waffles to make as they make the most mess. Sprinkles would be fun to add as well topped with whipped cream and powdered sugar when served.
How Do You Make Fluffy Homemade Waffles?
Simple answer is you need to let your batter rest. The batter needs to to have the baking powder activate and create bubbles. We sometimes let the batter set for 30 minutes to an hour. We make the batter first and then make other things. We also add vanilla extract to add a little more flavor as well as butter.
How Can You Improve The Best Homemade Waffles?
Want to take your recipe up a notch? Add a piece of bacon into the batter, on the waffle maker. It cooks INTO the waffle and tastes so good as the flavors marry and mix together. Serve with hash brown casserole.
Can You Freeze Waffles?
Yes! We place parchment paper between the waffles so they are not one big waffle in the freezer. We use a freezer safe bag or container to store the waffles.
To reheat, you can place them in the microwave or place them in the toaster oven and keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
Best Homemade Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat up your waffle maker.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl mix the egg, milk and vanilla.
- While mixing the milk will get bubbly. This is ok, you are getting some air into the mix.
- We mix things together for about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix.
- Add the sugar and mix.Pour in the melted butter and mix.
- Mix gently until combined.
- Let set for a few minutes to allow the baking powder to bubble and add air into the mix. We have let the batter sit for an hour and it's pretty fluffy.
- Add in enough mix into the waffle maker to make a waffle (our maker takes 3/4 cup per waffle)
- Cook until golden brown.
- Remove and repeat until all waffles are made.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup or fresh fruit.
Leave a Reply