Ground Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
I modified one of our meatloaf recipes I have when we picked up ground turkey. And it made an amazing ground turkey meatloaf recipe. So much so, I got a bite and my husband ate the entire mini meatloaf himself. That’s right, he didn’t share. Serve it up with delicious mashed potatoes and a veggie and you’ve got dinner made easy.
What Makes The Best Turkey Meatloaf Recipe?
Turkey does not have a lot of flavor by itself. So your flavors will come from the ingredients you add in. Fresh onions and green peppers add a lot of flavors to your meatloaf. To have a moist turkey meatloaf, you will want to not add too much bread crumbs (adding a little at a time until it binds together versus is a ball of dough). We also add ketchup and brown sugar in the recipe, along with a bit on top of the meatloaf to give a tangy sweet crust on top.
Do You Cover The Meatloaf While Cooking?
If your meatloaf is moist prior to cooking, you may not need to cover it. If you are unsure, you can start out cooking covered and remove the last 15 minutes to caramelize the topping.
Are You Using Turkey Left Over From Thanksgiving?
This recipe is using ground turkey. Turkey leftovers from the holidays would be already cooked and better used for salads, sandwiches and enchiladas.
What Makes Meat Loaf Taste Good?
Salt and pepper help to add flavor to the meatloaf recipe, but also adding in fresh chopped onion and green pepper. If you don’t like larger chopped pieces, you can finely chop them so they are not as noticeable. If you like things spicy, you can add red pepper flakes as well. Finely chopped carrots would also add flavor.
Do You Use Worcestershire Sauce?
This recipe does not call for Worcestershire sauce, but if you like it, you could add it. I would recommend starting with 1 teaspoon and adjust next time if you want more flavor from it.
It's Not Bad Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped medium onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Add all the ingredients into the bowl, except for the topping.
- Start with adding only 1 egg.
- Mix together.
- If the mix is super wet, add a little more bread crumbs, but not so much that is feels like cookie dough.
- If the mix is to dry, add an additional egg.
- Spray the loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Place the mix into the mini loaf pans.
- Mix the ketchup and brown sugar topping and spread evenly over each meatloaf.
- If you prefer, you can place the meat mix in a large loaf and skip making mini loaves. and then add the glaze on it.
- Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes for mini loaf Bake 1 hour 30 minutes for large loaf
If you have trouble getting your meatloaf in and out of the oven, placing it on a baking sheet makes it so much easier to remove and it keeps it from slipping.