How To Make Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Is ranch dressing your favorite salad dressing? Or maybe you used to ranch dressing for dipping veggies and chicken nuggets. We’ve got the dip for you. I find this the best buttermilk ranch dressing recipe I have had outside of some restaurants.
You can change this recipe with sour cream or milk, this will change the taste and consistency of the homemade ranch dressing. Using fresh herbs like fresh dill and fresh chives will change the measurements on how much you use.
You will need to plan ahead and this recipe does best if you let it sit in the fridge for an hour. It allows the flavors from the herbs to mix together.
Can I Substitute Milk Instead of Buttermilk?
You can use milk instead of buttermilk to make ranch dressing. It will change the tang and creamy texture of the dressing. You will find your dressing may be more liquidy.
Can Fresh Herbs Be Used To Make Ranch Dressing?
Definitely. When using fresh herbs you will use more herbs. Substitute fresh dill weed, fresh chives and fresh parsley for dried. One Tablespoon fresh is equal to one TEAspoon of dried herbs. Fresh garlic can be used also, but you will want to mince and get it pressed. Fresh lemon juice or bottled is fine also.
Can I Use Sour Cream In My Dressing?
You can replace the Greet yogurt in your buttermilk ranch dressing and use sour cream instead. Which ever you prefer. Either works well.
How Do You Blend The Dressing?
You can shake it. You can use a stick blender, a blender or a food processor. Whatever you have use it to make this. Do use care so it doesn’t come out of your vessel. Our stick blender had a tall narrow container that works well to blend everything.
Why Is My Ranch Dressing Runny?
If you have changed any ingredients (like milk instead of buttermilk) it could be runny. You do need to let the dressing rest for an hour in the fridge before serving. It sets up a bit in the fridge.
How Long Is Homemade Ranch Dressing Good For?
This rand dressing is good for 2 weeks. Make sure you write the date on the container, so you know when you made it Also check the expiration date on the buttermilk and Greek yogurt (or sour cream), so you can keep it for 2 weeks (if there is any left).
Easy Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or garlic clove chopped into paste
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 Tablespoon Fresh Dill
- 3 teaspoons dried chopped chives or 3 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Chives
- 3 teaspoons dried flat leaf parsley or 3 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper (to your taste)
- Combine all ingredients and blend together with a hand blender or shake in a sealed bowl.
- You can use fresh herbs, but know you will need to add more as noted in recipe.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Place the dressing in a jar with a lid and write the date on it.
- Allow it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to use, shake and put on your salad.
- You can also use this as a dip for chicken, fries....whatever you like.