I get a small commission to help keep this site up and running, when you use the links below. Thank you for shopping from these links.
One of the things I do as a Tupperware Lady, is help people who have had a fire and need to replace the contents of their kitchen. This is one of the hardest things I do and I try to help my customers get the most for their money as it’s a devastating situation.
A friend of mine came by yesterday to get a catalog, because her daughter had a fire in the kitchen. From what they can tell, the dog got on the stove to eat the grease on the stove (it was off). In him jumping up there, he turned on the stove, the pan flipped over. They had just moved in, gotten married. All of their was still in boxes (including wedding gifts)
Now it’s charred and they have 4 rooms worth of stuff in their house they have to replace.
Go check your stove, chances are, to turn your stove on, it is the first thing that the knob does. Older models you have to turn it a ways to turn it on.
The Fire Marshall told this family that dogs cause many fires and there is something that can protect this from happening. It’s like baby proofing your stove with knob covers (like these or these or this shield might work for you. or these:
These covers don’t allow them to be turned, which keeps the burner from turning on, causing a fire.
If you have a pet that jumps up on the counter, this may be something you want to consider to prevent anything bad from happening. I have younger children and if they should accidentally turn the burner on, we could have the same issue. Please please, evaluate your stove for safety!